Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dextrocardia : Having One

It still amazes me until now how unexpected things are happening and still doesn't really stop at one point or another in our lives. Things you thought that you know already and conditions that you are not aware of until recently. right.. that's what happened a couple of weeks ago.

Thinking that it was an ordinary day in the medical examination, after the annual medical examination I was told by my HR to go back and take the x-ray again because they didn't get a clear result.so, I wasn't really expecting anything wrong, so I went back the other week, then there when while I was in the waiting area for the x-ray, the doctor asked me if I have a "dextrocardia"(I still have no idea what it was), then the I remembered they mention of having one in my previous x-ray results but it was this time they made it clear about the condition.

Dextrocardia is a congenital defect in which the heart is situated on the right side of the body
Dextrocardia situs inversus refers to the heart being a mirror image situated on the right side. For all visceral organs to be mirrored, the correct term is dextrocardia situs inversus totalis.

Dextrocardia is believed[2] to occur in approximately 1 in 12,000[citation needed] people, while one of 30 of these will have situs inversus. Totalis occurs in approximately 1 in 5,000 of dextrocardia situs inversus.

Source: wikipedia

I immediately asked the doctor."Is it normal", she said "no, your abnormal(in a not serious tone), your unique, in fact your a mutant,joke only(smiles)". In fact I wasn't really smiling at that time knowing that I have this type of condition, I was thinking how could this happen and not knowing it all this time. Though the doctor said that I am normal in all aspects, its just that it is really a rare condition, In fact, I am the first patient in the clinic to have one said by the radiologist technician(don't know if its the right term).

Though I am still amaze really to have this condition I mean having a mirror image of heart does mean something, or is it really sign or symbol..it really doesn't matter, the thing is that I am still glad to live a normal as it is and having this type of condition of living my life to the fullest.

Between love and madness, lies xenophobia





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...